Seward School, 24th Street East and 28th Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1887-1966)
| Edit with form | |
|
Seward School | |
| Neighborhood/s: | Seward, Minneapolis, Minnesota |
| City/locality- State/province |
Minneapolis, Minnesota |
| County- State/province: |
Hennepin County, Minnesota |
| State/province: | Minnesota |
| Country: | United States |
| Year built: | 1887 |
| Year razed: | 1966 |
| Historic Function: | School |
| Material of Exterior Wall Covering: | Brick |
| Material of Roof: | Asphalt |
| Notes: | Additions 1901, 1910, 1916; Major renovation 1950; Playground expansion 1958. |
(44.959212° N, 93.231396° W)
In December 1887 Seward School opened with three grades. The new 12-room, brick building was located on the edge of the grounds of the old King's Fair (1877-1882). By 1901 the school building contained grades one through eight; kindergarten was added with the 1910 addition. By 1916 the school had more than 50 rooms and 1256 students. In 1963 the community began taking steps to build a new school-park combination. A bonding bill was passed, additional land was purchased, and finally a groundbreaking took place on October 21, 1965. (See Seward Elementary School; Matthews Center; Matthews Park.) The new building was completed in 1966, serving kindergarten through sixth grade. The students helped transfer furnishings from the original Seward School to the new Seward Elementary. A photograph shows the demolition of the old Seward School as it sits next to its newly finished replacement.
